The Microsoft Solution Framework for Business Intelligence in Media
is a sample application to demonstrate the use of the Microsoft Business Intelligence
platform in a media - more specifically, in a broadcast - scenario. It is built on the Microsoft Business Intelligence platform, which includes
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 incl. SQL Server Analysis Services, Reporting Services, and Report Builder;
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007;
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007;
The sample application includes four top-level dashboards:
- an Executive Dashboard including
- a balanced scorecard with key performance indicators (KPIs) for audience, advertisers, revenue, cost, content, staff, and resources;
- a high-level strategy map and
- a lower-level strategy map.
- a Financial Dashboard with a company-level profit and loss statement that provides drill-down views on a brand, medium, and format level;
- an Advertising Dashboard showing the advertising revenue per month, per sales office, per industry (category), per advertiser;
- a Daypart Analysis showing the average CPM and revenue per daypart.
In addition, a report shows the change of audience reach/marketshare over time alongside the schedule of one or multiple broadcast channels. From the broadcast schedule, video playback of each recorded channel can be started, enabling program managers to review the performance of their programming against competitive programming, and identify the reasons for audience drop-offs or audience migration to other channels.
The solution framework was developed by Media & Entertainment Industry Management at Microsoft Communications Sector and is provided to users on an "as-is" basis.